Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

DIY Pom Pom Flowers


Currently I am working on hosting a baby shower for my friend Ann. I want to go as far out as possible on my meager budget. So what does that mean? I am making practically everything. I made a diaper cake, a cake pedestal, a paper banner, pom pom flowers (my location has too high ceiling for me to hang them). I found tutorials mostly online on how to make things that I never made before. I’m notorious for googling “how to make…” I would rather make something myself than to buy it. Even if I learn that I could have saved money if I just bought it finished. Part of a learning process I suppose. I’ll post a tutorial of how to make the pom poms, both large and small below. 


Materials needed:


·         20 by 30” tissue paper set in your desired colors
·         18” floral wire
·         Scissors
·         Fishing line (monofilament) 

Hanging Pom-Poms:

1. Stack eight 20-by-30-inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2-inchwide accordion folds, creasing with each fold.
 

2
2. Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.


3.
3. Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.


4.  
4. Tie a length of monofilament to floral wire for hanging.


Napkin Rings/Small Flowers:
With just a few changes; these follow the same steps as the hanging pom-poms.
1
1. Stack four sheets of tissue. Cut a 10-by-5-inch rectangle, going through all layers. Make 3/8-inch-wide accordion folds.
2. Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire in half, slip over center of tissue, and twist to secure. Trim ends of tissue.
3. Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.
4. Bend wire into a loop to fit around napkin, and twist end around loop to secure.

I’m also planning on making most if not all of the food. My theme is bun in the oven/little muffin. So with that in mind, I’m making a lot of “baked” goods. You know muffins, cupcakes, etc. I’m also going to attempt to make a layered cake. We’ll see about that one… Sandwiches and wraps will be the main food (the shower starts at 10 so I thought I should have some lunchy type of food) it will be an early lunch, but I’m not big on brunchy type of foods.




0 comments:

Post a Comment